Monday, January 8, 2007

Networking for International Applicant

From where I come from, networking is uncommon unless you start working. Now, my being away from Indonesia since I was 16 has yet introduced me to this networking skills. While a senior in UCLA, I went for a "Jump Start" career seminar by the career center which introduced me to the 'networking' skill to secure a job.

The idea just seems WRONG...... That means that I need to be extremely friendly and nice to a stranger because I want something in return. I need to pretend I'm superly interested in someone because of who he is, when in fact I am only interested in getting contacts or getting a job link from this person. The perplexing thing is that the person that I pretend to like know that I am "using" him/her for a job link... But he/she lets me do it.. Probably because he/she had done the same thing in the past.

While I view myself as an extrovert, I don't really try to strike conversation to everyone in the room to make myself known.. Usually if it just happens I click with someone.. then well I will talk a lot to that person..

I don't know.. I begin to accept this 'networking' but I must say I need to adjust myself to doing it... It was kinda a shock to me .. My Indonesian friends admitted that it was really hard for them to adjust to network to strangers. I must admit though networking really opens up many doors

3 comments:

Dee said...

If you think of networking as a casual encounter where you can showcase your talents & personality, which may not come out properly in an interview, then it solves some of the moral dillema. Since you are networking at specific occasions meant for it. Also the ppl you want to impress just want to get to know the new batch of ppl who may some day help out or be part of some professional exchange. Always helps to know the calibre of your team mates and even your rival's team mates

kpmg said...

Just imagine you're making friends with everybody.

It's really not as bad as you think.
Don't approach is with the goal that you have to get something out of it, but rather to widen your circle of friends an acquitances.

the being said...

i would define networking as "getting your resume in" at places that matter. it might not result in anything right then but u never know when an opportunity might turn up. Also, its not just u 'getting somthing out of them', u need to be willing to do them favors too when u r in a position where u can. it'll get a lot easier when u think of it as give and take, rather than one sided :)