Thursday, January 4, 2007

B School and Alcohol-Tolerance


While chatting with the current Anderson student, we stumbled across the topic of alcohol..

To let you guys know : I don't like to drink...

I don't like beer, sake, red wine, white wine, champagne, sho-ju, shots...

I do occasionally drink cocktails - whatever that is sweet..

So, the Anderson student had said that I'm at a loss for not being able to drink.. During recruiting season, I would need to network with the recruiter. Other than looking at the qualifications, recruiters would like to know if someone has a fit with the company ( or I guess the people in the company).

I said : But I can just order Apple Martini and that's alright right...
He : No.. you have to order the right thing... No screwdriver, scotch and coke and all those.. Those are adolescents' drinks...

ERRR................ U guys should know that Indonesia's population is 90% muslims and muslims are not supposed to drink alcohol so drinking is not really a common daily life drink in Indonesia.. Of course there are still market for beers.. but you don't exactly drink beer almost every day.. In Indonesia, we drink tea... coffee.... coconut juice ( tropical country )
And don't even imagine about going to HAPPY HOUR every week... no no no..

But okay, apart from the culture difference.. I personally do not like to drink alcohol.. I actually went to a lounge yesterday night. My friend had made me cranberry juice mixed with vodka. But I didn't stir the drink yet before I drank it. My first gulp was the taste of vodka and I actually SPIT it out because it was too strong ( Gross I know.. but I'm trying to make a point ).

Alcohol smell reminds me of the alcohol solution I used to clean Paris' dirty fur...

So basically I'm screwed for not being able to drink...

6 comments:

JatWarrior said...

wow! thts an eye-opener. What are the real drinks then?

PS: I dont think you would be at a disadvantage, I am sure there are people at bschools who dont drink.

Iday said...

Oh dont u worry.
Think abt a B School guy who doesnt drink :) That's me.

so you should say i am in bigger soup.

Big deal, i'd say.
i dont drink - simple :)

Iday said...

Oh - dont u worry :)
Think abt my situation, a guy who's gonna be in bschool but doesnt drink.

Big deal yaar - companies take ppl to work, not to participate in Friday night parties ;)

ipoel said...

I've come up w a solution during yesterday's lunch tho' : get a drink.. sip it twice.. walk around.. leave it somewhere.. talk to more ppl.. buy another drink ( and the cycle goes on )

@jatwarrior : herm.. I think Indonesian beers are famous among the Indonesians.. not so much of wine/vodka/etc

Dee said...

Well i have a trick i use from time to time - if at a party, order a soda with lime wedges and ice - voila, everyone thinks you are drinking vodka soda...
but honestly companies hire you for you and hopefully the college you go to makes a difference to your employability. otherwise our applications would ask us what drinks we prefer rather than what we do :)

ipoel said...

haha.. thanks dee