Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Update on Books

So I've done some book reviews in the past. Just to close the Monkey Business review : IB doesn't suit me..

Now on other books :
I just finished reading Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends & Influence People.. Great book!!! Wow.. It's definitely a must read. He proposes communication principles with real live examples from his classes and that really convinces me of his principles. It definitely has helped to me revamp how I deal with people : to see from the other person's perspective.

Just an example : I was in the doctor's office a few days ago. The doctor was supposed to be in at 9am and I was his first patient. 9am he's not there.. I waited.. 9.15am.. still not there I'm getting irritated.. 9.20am still no sign of him. The ipoel in the past would have gone to the nurse/receptionist and asked irritatedly what time the doctor would come and could she please contact the doctor to come ASAP..

Now having read the book and it said that the other person(the nurse) doesn't give a damn if I'm irritated of waiting etc.. and I should try to be friendly in communicating my needs as to make the other person WANTS to help me. So that's just what I did. Gulping down my irritation of the late doctor, I came over and greeted the nurse nicely and asked if she knew what time the doctor would come and if she could possibly inform the doctor that I was waiting and not to forget to thank her...

Welll she did help me call the doc and said that the doc is nearby.. Did it help make the doctor come earlier? NO.... but at least it leaves me in a better mood while waiting in that room..

So yeah good read!

Now I'm moving on to the "Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman" book after I had read the "Nice Girls don't Get the Corner Office" just a few weeks earlier.. Pretty similar advices...

Next I'm gonna read the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" book.. boy I really have nothing to do eh?

No comments: