Monday, April 23, 2007

Girls out there, please be careful!


Girls out there.. PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Especially those who're going to stuy or live in New York.. Why? This is a news about a Columbia graduate student who was raped and tortured in her apartment just a few weeks ago.

Things to note :
1. Buy a pepper spray!
2. Be paranoild like me and have 911 on your speed dial. Or if not, this accident can be prevented if you just talk on the phone with someone when you feel wary of a stranger. The stranger/ prospectful criminal may think twice before attacking you because you're on the phone with someone else
3. Try to live with a roommate. Cheaper, safer, and someone may be able to take care of you when you're sick
4. If you're in a public parking area and going to enter your car, please have your car key handy and get into your car quickly and lock the door. Do NOT stand in front of your car, trying to grab your key from your bag or worse sit in your car with your door open. You'll be a good target for this prospectful criminal.
5. Take self-defense classes..
6. Don't trade in your safety over rent price.. Try to find out the crime rate in the neighborhood you're interested in by checking out the local police website.
7. For international students who are coming to US/Europe/ other countries than their own and esp if you have never studied abroad.. please be cautios of others and your surroundings ..

3 comments:

the being said...

I know, this sure is scary :( I am doing everything i can to keep this from reaching my parents, coz they r going to freak like crazy!!
poor unfortunate girl. I wish she can recover fully from the trauma.

Nothing much is going on at my end, except for chasing down my recommenders to give me one more for the BAH scholarship. and ofcourse, writing one more essay(gulp!). Does UCLA have corporate sponsors? are u applying for any scholarships?

HairTwirler said...

Solid advice! Good luck at UCLA, I'm sorry I won't meet you either.

Mocha said...

eewww..that's such a horrible news! My bf has advised me to buy a pepper spray. Even in Hawaii, there are plenty of stalkers just in my school!!

Thanks for the advice. =)