Saturday, April 7, 2007

B School Interview is different than job interview


So how is it different?

At B school interview, the school wants to get to know about you as a person: your strength but also your weakness, your likes and your dislikes, your motivation as a person, your goals in life..

Job interview : the employer wants to know that you have MORE strength than you have weakness, your working style, your interpersonal relationship, your goals in alignment to the company's goal..

During my interview with USC, I let myself by me.. In asnwering " What's the most common misconception about you?"

I answer : I'm a very outgoing and bubly person that sometimes at work people don't take me seriously

Q: What do you not like about your job?
A: very detailed oriented and tedious as opposed to my working style that likes to take a look at the big picture

Okay IF that was a job interview, the interviewer would let me out the door after 5 mins..
But hope you guys get the picture, that's what others are saying when they give you advice to be yourself during interviews..

1 comment:

Mocha said...

ipoel,

My Boeing phone interview went well (I think)! I should be able to find out if I will advance to the final round of interview! Speaking of interview, Another nice blog post!

I've done a couple interviews with big companies, such as Merrill Lynch, Hitachi, and now Boeing. I do agree with you that in some aspect, they want to learn what you can "contribute" to their company in a job interview, as oppose to learning what you can gain from the org in an MBA interview. But, well, I only have UCLA interview as my sole reference for comparison.

Generally, from what I learn from your blog, it sounds like it's more personal at a school interview than at a job's. (*I will note that for future reference).

Btw, I checked out the BillonDollarBabes website. Wow! The exclusive brands, shopping events and all that... well, too luxurious for me for now! But perhaps I will be in one of the events haha...once I become an executive or some sort!